COVID-19 Pandemic 468 words published on March 24, 2020.
I’ve been sheltering in place now for nearly two weeks, which was probably not as soon as it should have been, but better late than never. In these times I’ve been reading a firehose of information about this novel COVID-19 🤒, caused by SARS-CoV-2 🦠, and it has been difficult to digest it all. Hopefully this will serve as an accurate snapshot of the situation; at least to the best of my understanding.
What I Know
- This is real, and serious, many people have and will get sick, and some will die 
- It is not the flu, both in effect and contagiousness
- We’re going to be dealing with this, and it’s ramifications for years
- I’m mostly stuck at home for now, going out only for isolated walks, and food
- We need better leadership
What I Think I Know
- I’ll could be practicing “social distancing” for upwards of a year 
- The test is uncomfortable, but isn’t so bad 
- Face masks aren’t as effective as they might seem 
- Healthcare workers are in much greater need than we are 
- They are mostly useful if you’re coughing or sneezing, in which case you shouldn’t be outside anyway
- It’s spread via surface contact, droplets and the air 
- Higher probability of infection from contact with a droplet than loose airborne particles
- Can stay alive on surfaces for a few days, depending on the material
- We are likely entering a economic recession 
- The United States (where I live) is doing a piss poor job
- We should be testing random samples of the population, since many infected are asymptomatic
- Laid off workers should be ensured relief until (and at least briefly after) “shelter in place” has ended
- Small businesses, and farms should be supported by the Fed
Trump needs to shut the fuck up
Never before in the history of our nation have we had to litterally cut the words of the President off the media to protect the public, it’s unimaginable.
What I Don’t Know
- How long you stay immune after recovering from the virus
- How long until a vaccine will become readily available
- How long this pandemic will last, though it’s clearly longer if we don’t heed the warnings 
- How many businesses will close
- How many people will lose their jobs
- Who, that I know, will die
I’m trying to stay somewhat positive, and productive. However, the struggle is real. In the weeks and months to come, I look forward to new creative outlets, and a new perspective on my place here on Earth, together with you all.
Be smart out there ❤